- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved ‘Atmosphere and Climate Research-Modeling Observing Systems and Services’ along with its eight sub-plans for the next fiscal (15th) cycle of five years (2021-2026). Modelling Observing Systems & Services (ACROSS) scheme has been approved for continuation.
About ACROSS Scheme:
- The Across scheme is related to the atmospheric science programs of the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) and focuses on various aspects of weather and climate related services.
- Each of these aspects is included as eight sub-schemes under the overall scheme of ‘ACROSS’.
Each institution has a specified role to fulfill the above functions through the following eight schemes.
- Polarimetric Doppler Weather Radar – DWRs
- Upgradation of Forecasting System – IMD
- Weather and Climate Services – IMD
- Atmospheric Observation Network- IMD
- Numerical Modeling of Weather and Climate – NCMRWF
- Monsoon Mission III
- Monsoon Convection, Clouds and Climate Change – MC4
- High-Performance Computing System- HPCS
- This scheme is being implemented by the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) through units like India Meteorological Department (IMD), National Center for Medium Range Weather Forecasting (NCMRWF), Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM) and Indian National Center for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS).
- The scheme will provide better forecasting and services about weather, climate and ocean and other risk related services. This will include warnings related to cyclones, storm surges, heat waves and thunderstorms.
- The entire process from the preparation of forecast information to its distribution requires a large number of manpower at each stage, thereby creating employment opportunities for many people.