Anganwadi worker gratuity – Today Current Affairs
- Recently it has been accepted by the Supreme Court that Anganwadi workers are entitled to gratuity, which is a basic social security measure.
Today Current Affairs
Supreme Court’s opinion:
- The Court has recognized their right to pay gratuity under the Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972.
- The court noted that it is high time for the Center and the states to “collectively consider” on improving the service conditions of Anganwadi workers and helpers.
- The Court also pointed out that the Integrated Child Development Scheme (ICDS) needs more attention in public policy.
- The scheme acts as an “institutional mechanism for the realization of child and women’s rights”.
- Yet these services are treated as state charities rather than enforceable rights.
- Thus to ensure quality in delivery of services and community participation, it is necessary to rethink their terms of service.
Anganwadi Workers : The Hindu Analysis
- Anganwadi is a centrally sponsored scheme implemented by the States/UTs to act as a rural child and maternal care center in India.
- It was started in the year 1975 by the Government of India as part of the ICDS program to tackle the problem of hunger and malnutrition of children.
- Anganwadi centers provide six types of services: supplementary nutrition, pre-school non-formal education, immunization, health check-up, nutrition and health education and specified services.
- Beneficiaries under Anganwadi Services Scheme are identified under Aadhaar.
Importance of Anganwadi Workers : The Hindu Analysis
- The court has recognized that the nutritional needs of about 158 million children “the future resource of the nation” are taken care of by anganwadi workers and helpers.
- They act as a bridge between the government and the beneficiaries under the National Food Security Act, 2013 and ICDS, besides providing important services at the grassroots level.
- Anganwadi workers and helpers have worked to cater to the needs of disadvantaged groups in underprivileged areas. Today Current Affairs
- They are the backbone of Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS).
- Social child care contributes to women’s independence.
- It lightens the burden of child care, provides a potential source of employment for women, as well as provides them an opportunity to form women’s organizations.
Gratuity : The Hindu Analysis
- Gratuity is a benefit that is payable under the Payment of Gratuity Act 1972.
- Gratuity is a financial component given by an employer to an employee in recognition of the service rendered by him in the organization.
- It is a part of an employee’s salary and can be viewed as a benefit plan, designed to help an individual on his retirement.
- Gratuity is paid by an employer when an employee leaves the job after serving an organization for a period of at least 5 years.
- It can also be thought of as a financial “thank you” to an employee for providing continued service to the employer.