22 Jul 2021 Bills on agriculture reforms
Bills on agriculture reforms
Farmers are protesting in a parallel Kisan sansad outside the parliament
About the different farm bills
1. Three Bills on agriculture reforms – The Farmers’ Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Bill, 2020; The Farmers (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement of Price Assurance and Farm Services Bill, 2020 and The Essential Commodities (Amendment) Bill, 2020
2. The bill aims at opening up agricultural sale and marketing outside the notified Agricultural Produce Market Committee (APMC) mandis for farmers, removes barriers to inter-State trade and provides a framework for electronic trading of agricultural produce. It prohibits State governments from collecting market fee, cess or levy for trade outside the APMC markets.
3. The bill relates to contract farming, providing a framework on trade agreements for the sale and purchase of farm produce
1. Cooperative federalism:Since agriculture and markets are State subjects – entry 14 and 28 respectively in List II – the ordinances are being seen as a direct encroachment upon the functions of the States and against the spirit of cooperative federalism enshrined in the Constitution
2. Dismantling of the monopoly of the APMCs is seen as a sign of ending the assured procurement of food grains at minimum support prices (MSP).
3. private corporate houses could lead to farmer exploitation.
4. It may lead to exporters, processors and traders hoarding farm produce during the harvest season, when prices are generally lower, and releasing it later when prices increase.
1. Idea of peaceful protest in a democratic setup.