21 Apr 2022 Colombo Security Conference
Today Current Affairs
- Recently, the Colombo Security Conclave (CSC) was organized virtual by the National Investigation Agency of India.
- Participants discussed various challenges related to terrorism in their respective countries and shared their experiences in prosecuting terrorism cases, strategies to deal with foreign fighters and countering the misuse of internet and social media.
Colombo Security Conference (CSC) : Today Current Affairs
- The CSC was formed in the year 2011 as a trilateral Maritime Security Group consisting of India, Sri Lanka and Maldives.
- In this, Mauritius was included as the fourth member in the fifth meeting of the National Security Advisors.
- Bangladesh and Seychelles participated as observers and were invited to join the group.
- Envisioned Goals: The fifth meeting of the National Security Advisors of the CSC identified key areas of cooperation to enhance and strengthen regional security in the following five pillars:
- Security and Maritime Security
- Combating terrorism and extremism
- Combating trafficking and international organized crime
- Cyber security, security of critical infrastructure and technology
- Humanitarian aid and disaster relief
Importance : The Hindu Analysis
- The CSC is seen as India’s access to the Indian Ocean to underline regional cooperation and shared security objectives.
- Countering China: The CSC hopes to restrict China’s influence in areas of strategic importance and reduce China’s presence in member states.
- Maritime Security: India has a large coastline of about 7500 km along with strategic chokepoint islands. Maritime security is a priority for the country, in which the CSC plays an important role.
- Synergy with Sagar Vision: The grouping is in line with India’s vision of “Sagar: Security and Growth for All in the Regions” and being a member of the India Quad Grouping.
- Emerging Sub-regionalism: The coming together of the 6 Indian Ocean Region countries on a common maritime and security platform indicates the development of sub-regionalism and also plays an important role in the wider global context.
- Associated Challenge: Even though the strategic interests of the six countries are aligned in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR), the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) must fulfill the effort to mold CSC into an institution to counter China’s influence.
National Investigation Agency : The Hindu Analysis
- The National Investigation Agency (NIA) is a federal investigative agency set up by the Government of India to combat terrorism in India. It acts as the central counter-terrorism law enforcement agency.
- The agency came into existence with the enactment of the National Investigation Agency Bill, 2008, an Act passed by the Parliament of India on 31 December 2008.
- The National Investigation Agency was set up after the 2008 Mumbai attacks, as the need for a central agency to counter terrorism was felt after this incident.
In this article we mention all information about Colombo Security Conference (CSC) Today Current Affairs.