18 Oct 2021 CRISP-M Tool
Posted at 12:41h in Daily current-affairs 0 Comments
- Recently, the Climate Resilience Information System and Planning (CRISP-M)tool for Mahatama Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS)
- It will help embed climate information in the Geographic Information System (GIS) based planning and implementation of MGNREGS.
- GIS is a computer system that analyzes and displays geographically referenced information.
- The implementation of CRISP-M will open up new possibilities for rural communities to deal with the issues of climate change.
- This tool will be used in seven states: Bihar, Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Odisha and Rajasthan.
- It is one of the largest work guarantee programmes in the world.
- It was launched on 2ndFebruary 2006.
- The Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act was passed on 23rd August 2005.
- To guarantee 100 days of employment in every financial year to adult members of any rural household willing to do public work-related unskilled manual work.
Legal Right to Work:
- Unlike earlier employment guarantee schemes, the act aims at addressing the causes of chronic poverty through a rights-based framework.
- At least one-third of beneficiaries have to be women.
- Wages must be paid according to the statutory minimum wages specified for agricultural labourers in the state under the Minimum Wages Act, 1948 (now subsumed under Code on Wages, 2019).
- The most important part of MGNREGA’s design is its legally-backed guarantee for any rural adult to get work within 15 days of demanding it, failing which an ‘unemployment allowance’ must be given.
- This demand-driven scheme enables the self-selection of workers.
- There is an emphasis on strengthening the process of decentralisation by giving a significant role to the Panchayati Raj Institutions (PRIs) in planning and implementing these works.
- The act mandates Gram sabhas to recommend the works that are to be undertaken and at least 50% of the works must be executed by them.