- The Ministry of Defence (MoD) has announced the Defence Testing Infrastructure Scheme (DTIS) with a budget of Rs 400 crore to build state-of-the-art testing infrastructure in collaboration with the private sector in order to strengthen domestic defence and aerospace industries.
- The five-year plan calls for the construction of six to eight greenfield defence testing infrastructure facilities, which are essential for the defence and aerospace industry.
- The Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) constituents, who will be Indian commercial organisations and state governments, would be responsible for the remaining 25% of the project cost.
- Government support in the form of ‘Grant-in-Aid’ will be provided to up to 75% of the projects under the scheme.
- The Department of Defense Production/Directorate General of Quality Assurance (DDP/DGQA) has published eight Expressions of Interest (EOIs) for the development of defence testing facilities in diverse sectors in this context.