- Recently Group Captain ‘Abhinandan Varthaman’ was awarded the ‘Veer Chakra’, which is a wartime gallantry award, by the President of India.
- ‘Gallantry Awards’ are announced twice a year – on the occasion of Republic Day and Independence Day.
Gallantry Awards in India (History):
- After independence, the initial three gallantry awards – Param Vir Chakra, Maha Vir Chakra and Vir Chakra were instituted by the Government of India on 26 January 1950, which were deemed to be effective from 15 August 1947.
- After this, in the year 1952, other three gallantry awards – ‘Ashok Chakra-I’, ‘Ashok Chakra-II’ and ‘Ashok Chakra-III’ were instituted, which were considered effective from August 15, 1947.
- In January 1967, the names of these awards were changed to Ashok Chakra, Kirti Chakra and Shaurya Chakra respectively.
People Eligible for the Award:
- All officers of all ranks of the Army, Navy and Air Force or any Reserve Force, Territorial Army and any other legally constituted Armed Forces are eligible for these awards.
- In addition to the above mentioned personnel, Matrons, Nurses, Staff of Nursing Services and Employees of Hospitals and Nursing Services, regular or temporary are also eligible for this.
Highest Wartime Gallantry Award:
Param Vir Chakra:
- It is India’s highest military decoration, given to display conspicuous acts of gallantry during war (whether on land, at sea or in the air).
- It is the second highest gallantry award for acts of conspicuous gallantry in the presence of the enemy on land, at sea or in the air.
- It is the third highest wartime gallantry award in the country after ParamVir Chakra and MahaVir Chakra.
Highest Peacetime Gallantry Award:
- It is the highest military award for gallantry, courageous action or sacrifice during peacetime.
- It is awarded in peace time for conspicuous bravery or any other act of courage or gallantry or self-sacrifice.
- It is the second highest peacetime gallantry award and is given for courageous action or self-sacrifice in peace time.
- It is awarded to the personnel of the Armed Forces for exceptional gallantry.
- It is given for exceptional devotion to duty or acts of courage in the Army.
- It is awarded for individual acts of exceptional devotion to duty or courage in the Navy.
Air Force Medal:
- It is awarded for exceptional devotion to duty or individual acts of courage in the Air Force.