Giloy: Ministry of AYUSH – Today Current Affairs
- Recently the Ministry of AYUSH has once again reiterated that Giloy/Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) is a safe medicine and as per the available data, it does not have any toxic effect on the body.
- Earlier, some sections of the media have once again linked Giloy/Guduchi to liver failure.
- According to the Ministry of AYUSH, the safety of any medicine depends on how it is being used. The dosage of a drug is a major factor that determines the safety of that particular drug.
About Giloy/Guduchi: Today Current Affairs
- Giloy is a shrub growing on the support of trees, which belongs to the ‘Menispermaceae’ botanical family.
- This plant is endemic to India, but is also found in tropical regions of China, Australia and Africa.
- It is used to treat a variety of problems including fever, infection, diarrhea and diabetes.
Today Current Affairs
Medicinal applications of Giloy/Guduchi: The Hindu Analysis
- Special attention is paid to its health benefits in the treatment of various metabolic disorders and its potential as an immunity booster.
- It acts as antioxidant, anti-hyperglycemic, anti-hyperlipidemic, hepatoprotective, cardiovascular protective, neuroprotective, osteoprotective, radioprotective, anti-depression, adaptogenic and analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antipyretic, anti-diarrheal, anti-ulcer and anti-microbial and is also seen as an anti-cancer.
- It is used as a major component of medical science for the treatment of metabolic, endocrine and many other diseases while helping to increase human life expectancy.
- It is a popular herb in traditional medicine systems for its wide range of therapeutic applications and its use in the management of COVID-19.