iDEX व DISC 6 – Today Current Affairs
- Recently Ministry of Defense launched Innovation for Defense Excellence (iDEX) Prime and 6th Defense India Startup Challenge (DISC 6) during DefConnect 2.0 in New Delhi.
- DEFCONNECT 2.0 is a one-day event to bring together startups, large companies and armed forces personnel to promote indigenous innovation and self-reliant India in the defense sector.
Today Current Affairs
iDEX Innovations :
- iDEX, launched in the year 2018, is an ecosystem that will promote innovation and technology development in defense and aerospace by engaging new innovators and entrepreneurs to modernize and deliver technologically advanced solutions to the Indian Army.
The main purpose : The Hindu Analysis
- Indigenization: Rapid development of new, indigenous and innovative technology.
- Innovation: To build an enhanced startup culture to encourage co-creation.
- It provides grants to Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs), startups, individual innovators, R&D institutions and academicians for research and development.
- ‘iDEX Prime’ aims to finance projects with a requirement of Rs 1.5 crore to Rs 10 crore to support the ever-growing startups in the defense sector. Today Current Affairs
- iDEX is financed and managed by the “Defense Innovation Organization”.
- The iDEX portal has been launched to provide wider publicity and better field of view and to deal with the challenges of the future in a more efficient manner through better information management of iDEX activities.
Defense Innovation Organization (DIO) : The Hindu Analysis
- DIO is a not-for-profit organization constituted under Section 8 of the Companies Act 2013.
- It is financed by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) and Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL).
- It provides high level policy guidance to iDEX.
What is Defense India Startup Challenge? The Hindu Analysis
- It aims to support startups/MSMEs/innovators to build prototypes/commercial products in the field of National Defense and Security.
- The first Defense India Startup Challenge (DISC) was launched on August 4, 2018 in Bangalore.
- It was launched by the Ministry of Defense in partnership with Atal Innovation Mission.
- Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) is the flagship initiative of the Government of India to promote a culture of innovation and develop an entrepreneurship ecosystem in our country. Today Current Affairs
- Startups, Indian companies and individual innovators (including research and educational institutions) can participate under the programme.
- DISC 6 saw the participation of seven newly formed defense companies, Indian Coast Guard and organizations under the Ministry of Home Affairs for the first time.