Infrastructure regarding Food Safety in States – Today Current Affairs
The FSSAI has released the Fourth State Food Safety Index recently.
Today Current Affairs
What is the State Food Safety Index?
- FSSAI has developed the State Food Safety Index to measure the performance of states on various parameters of Food Safety.
- It was first started in 2018-19 with the aim of creating a competitive and positive change in India’s food safety ecosystem.
- This index is based on performance of State/ UT on five significant parameters
- Human Resources and Institutional Data
- Food Testing – Infrastructure and Surveillance
- Training & Capacity Building
- Consumer Empowerment
What about the recent index? The Hindu Analysis
- In the 4th index, Tamil Nadu topped the list among larger states, followed by Gujarat and Maharashtra.
- Among smaller states, Goa was the winner, followed by Manipur and Sikkim.
- Jammu and Kashmir emerged top among Union Territories, followed by Delhi and Chandigarh.
How can the States’ index be improved? The Hindu Analysis
- Support of the Centre– States need the support of the Central government in developing food laboratory infrastructure and enhancing manpower.
- Assistance– Liberal assistance should be provided to the States and Union Territories as far as laboratory infrastructure and improvement of manpower are concerned. The Hindu Analysis
- Role of private sector– The private sector should come forward in a big way to have staff trained at their cost to improve productivity.
- Use of ICT– The participation of information technology majors with the help of non-governmental organisations can be utilised in getting surplus food distributed to the needy.
What are some of the important initiatives for food safety in India? The Hindu Analysis
- Eat Right India Movement– to transform the country’s food system in order to ensure safe, healthy and sustainable food for all Indians.
- Eat Right Station Certification– awarded by FSSAI to railway stations that set benchmarks (as per the FSS Act, 2006) in providing safe and wholesome food to passengers.
- The Eat Right Research Awards and Grants– for high quality research in the area of food safety and nutrition in India.
- PAN-India survey– for identifying the presence of industrially produced trans fatty acid content in the selected foods has been released.