Living Lands Charter: Commonwealth – Today Current Affairs
- Recently Commonwealth members agreed to voluntarily dedicate ‘living lands’ in their respective countries to future generations in line with the strategy set for the United Nations Decade on Ecosystem Restoration.
- The ‘Living Lands Charter’ was announced at the conclusion of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) 2022 in Kigali (Rwanda).
Today Current Affairs
UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration:
- The United Nations General Assembly declared the year 2021-30 as the ‘UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration’.
- It aims to promote the environmental goals of the United Nations.
- To provide global cooperation, especially for the restoration of damaged and destroyed ecosystems.
- It calls for the conservation and restoration of ecosystems around the world.
Living Lands Charter : The Hindu Analysis
- The non-binding ‘Living Lands Charter’ states that member states will protect global land resources and prevent land degradation while working towards sustainable management of climate change, biodiversity loss.
- The Living Lands Charter helps cover a joint effort to keep the global average temperature rise to 1.5 °C.
- The Charter aims to achieve climate goals by mixing policy impact, funding, technical assistance, governance and knowledge sharing by nations. The Hindu Analysis
- Commonwealth governments have been asked to submit their emissions reduction targets by September 23, 2022.
- It aims to support member countries to effectively fulfill their commitments under the three Rio Conventions – the United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity, the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) and the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
Key Points of CHOGM 2022 : The Hindu Analysis
- The Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting is a biennial summit of the Heads of Government of all Commonwealth countries.
- CHOGM 2022 was organized in Rwanda with the theme- ‘providing a Common Future: Connecting, Innovating, and transforming.’
- It has raised over US$4 billion in pledges to fight against malaria and other tropical diseases.
- There have been 24 CHOGMs since 1971, the latest meeting being held in the United Kingdom (UK) in 2018.
Commonwealth : The Hindu Analysis
- It is an international intergovernmental organization of countries that were mostly territories under the former British Empire.
- It was established in 1949 by the London Declaration.
- Queen Elizabeth II is the head of the Commonwealth.
- Many countries in Africa, Asia, America, Europe and the Pacific are included in the Commonwealth.
- Presently 56 countries are its members. Membership is based on free and equal voluntary cooperation.
- In the CHOGM 2022, two African countries Gabon and Togo have been included in the Commonwealth of Nations as the 55th and 56th members respectively.
- Its headquarter is in London.
Here we mention all information about Living Lands Charter: Commonwealth Today Current Affairs.