18 Dec 2021 Mahanadi Coalfields Limited: Vihangam
Posted at 10:48h in Daily current-affairs 0 Comments
- Recently an internet-based platform named ‘VIHANGAM’ integrated with Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS) has been inaugurated at Mahanadi Coalfields Limited (MCL).
Mahanadi Coalfields Limited- Today Current Affairs
- It is one of the major coal producing companies of India and eight subsidiaries of Coal India Limited.
- Established in the year 1999, MCL was the first coal company to introduce eco-friendly surface mining technology.
- The system consists of a Ground Control Station (GCS), an RPAS, an Internet leased line of 40 Mbps and a Vihangam Portal.
- The system enables real-time broadcast of aerial video of mining activities from the mines to the Internet platform, which can be accessed through the Vihangam portal only by authorized personnel having ID and password.
Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS):
- RPAS is a sub-set of Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS).
- There are three sub-sets of unmanned aircraft – remotely piloted aircraft, autonomous aircraft and model aircraft.
- Drone is a common term for unmanned aircraft.
Drones are divided into five categories on the basis of their weight (current rule)- The Hindu Analysis
- Nano- less than 250 grams
- Micro- 250 grams to 2 kg. So far
- Small- 2 kg. From 25 kg. So far
- Medium- 25 kg. From 150 kg. So far
- Large- 150 kg. More than
A remotely piloted aircraft consists of a remote pilot station, the required command and control links, and other components specified in the type design.
Other initiatives using UAVs:
- The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has launched a drone based vaccine delivery model named Drone Response and Outreach in the North East (i-Drone).
- The Government of Telangana has selected 16 Primary Health Centers (PHCs) for testing an ambitious first-of-its-kind pilot project ‘Medicine from the Sky’.
- International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) was granted permission to deploy drones for agricultural research activities, apart from some agricultural universities and academic institutions.