27 Jan 2022 Meta’s AI Supercomputer
Posted at 12:15h in Daily current-affairs 0 Comments
- According to Facebook’s parent company Meta, it’s new “artificial intelligence supercomputer” will be the fastest worldwide by the middle of 2022.
- Meta introduced the AI Research Super Cluster (RSC) on January 24, 2022. It is believed to be one of the fastest AI supercomputers currently.
- Currently, AI can perform tasks such as translating text between languages and helping identify potentially harmful content.
- However, the development of the next generation of AI will require powerful supercomputers, capable of performing quintillion operations per second.
Importance of RSC
- RSC will help in creating new and better AI models. It will also allow work in hundreds of different languages.
- RSC will also help build technologies for the next major computing platform called “Metaverse”, where AI-powered applications and products will play a key role.
What is Metaverse?
- The Metaverse is a network of 3D virtual worlds. It focuses on social engagement. The term metaverse originated in the 1992 science fiction novel Snow Crash.
- The meta platform was formerly known as Facebook. It is an American multinational technology conglomerate.
- It is headquartered in Menlo Park, California. Meta is the parent company of Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram.
- Meta is one of the most valuable companies in the world and is one of the Big Tech companies along with Amazon, Google, Apple and Microsoft.
- Supercomputers have a higher level of performance than general purpose computers. Its performance is usually measured in floating-point operations per second (FLOPS) rather than “million instructions per second (MIPS)”.