MILAN Exercise – Today Current Affairs
- ‘MILAN’ is a multilateral naval exercise organized by the Indian Navy. It is a biennial exercise and includes seminars, games, social events and professional exercises between the participating countries.
- This exercise was started in the year 1995.
- Navies of Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand and Sri Lanka along with the Indian Navy participated in the inaugural edition of the exercise.
- All the editions of MILAN were held in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands under the Andaman and Nicobar Command.
- The Navy announced in 2020 that the next edition of Milan will be held at Visakhapatnam under the Eastern Naval Command.
- The exercise is conducted under various themes like anti-submarine warfare and other areas.
- Areas of cooperation for this exercise include capacity building, training, maritime domain awareness, technical support, hydrography and operational exercises.
- Through professional engagement with friendly navies, the exercise aims to improve operational capabilities, establish best practices and procedures and enable learning in the maritime environment.
Today Current Affairs
Milan Exercise 2022
- This year’s MILAN exercise will be the largest edition of the exercise in which 46 countries will be invited to participate. The Hindu Analysis.
- This year’s Milan exercise will be held in February 2022 in Visakhapatnam. QUAD countries will also participate in this.
- MILAN 22 is being conducted in two phases over a period of nine days, with the port phase from February 25 to February 28 and the sea phase from March 1 to 4. The Hindu Analysis.
- The theme of this year’s exercise is ‘Camaraderie – Cohesion – Collaboration’ through which India will be projected to the world as a responsible maritime power.