11 Oct 2021 Mobile-based e-voting system
- The Telangana State Election Commission has planned to conduct a dry run of a “Mobile-Based e-voting system”.
- The development of this system is guided by the necessity of holding polls in India amid the Covid-19 pandemic.
- This system, if successful, will facilitate to vote using smartphones from home.
- The dry run will be held in Khammam district of Telangana on October 20.
- It will be India’s first smartphone-based e-voting process.
- Voters can register themselves for the dry run, using the smartphone application in between October 8 and 18.
- The state election commission of Telangana is implementing the system in association with the emerging technologies wing of IT Electronics and Communications (ITE&C) department of Telangana government and technical development by ‘Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (CDAC)’.
Use of Artificial Intelligence
- Mobile-based e-voting system will make use of Artificial Intelligence for a three-factor authentication of the valid voter.
- System will match the voter’s name with the Aadhaar, detect individual liveness and match image using EPIC database comprising of around 20-year-old records.
Blockchain (Distributed Ledger) technology
- This technology has been used to secure de-identified and encrypted votes in order to maintain them as immutable records.
TSEC eVote App
- This smartphone application follows a minimalist design approach, supporting both English and Telugu languages.
- It comprises of a detailed help section for tutorial videos and a helpline number to aid the citizens.
- It is a security-hardened mobile application that will prevent any type of tampering. System cannot be misused because it binds a device ID and phone number to a specific citizen registration process. Only that device can be used during voting.