- Recently Rajya Sabha has been informed by the Ministry of Minority Affairs that in the last three years (2018-19 to 2020-21) the government has sanctioned Rs.26 crore under the Nai Roshni scheme, through which about one lakh women has been trained.
About New Roshni Scheme:
- Nai Roshni- a leadership development program for minority women which is a central sector scheme for women belonging to minority communities in the age group of 18 to 65 years.
- It was started in the year 2012-13.
- The objective of the scheme is to build trust among other communities living in the same village/localities including minority women, their neighbours, by providing knowledge, tools and techniques to interact with government systems, banks and other institutions at all levels.
- It is run across the country with the help of NGOs, civil societies and government institutions.
- It includes various training modules such as women’s leadership, educational programmes, health and sanitation, Swachh Bharat, financial literacy, life skills, women’s legal rights, digital literacy and advocacy for social and behavioral change.
Significance of the plan:
- Empowerment of women is not only necessary for equality, but it is also a very important element for poverty reduction, economic development and strengthening of civil society.
- Poverty-stricken women and children always suffer the most and need support. It is even more important to empower women especially because in the homes they bring up, nurture their children.
- It helps minority women to move out of the confines of their home and community and to claim their fair share on the government’s development benefits for improving living and living conditions, services collectively or individually, they take leadership roles and assert their rights by gaining access to facilities, skills.
Other schemes related to minority women:
- Garib Nawaz Rozgar Yojana
- Learn and Earn
- Begum Hazrat Mahal Girls Scholarship
- Nayi Manjil
- Ustad (upgradation of skills and training in traditional arts/crafts for development)