16 Nov 2021 Norovirus
Posted at 13:16h in Daily current-affairs 0 Comments
- For the last 2 years, Coronavirus has plagued the whole world. We are still battling this. Somewhere there is talk of third wave and somewhere fourth.
- Meanwhile, a case of another disease named Norovirus has been confirmed in Wayanad, Kerala.
- Two weeks ago, norovirus infection was reported in 13 students of a veterinary college at Pukode near Vithiri in Wayanad district.
- In view of this, the Government of Kerala has asked people to be alert and has also issued some guidelines in this regard.
- Norovirus is a contagious infection. It was formerly known as Norwalk virus. Another name for this is winter vomiting diseases.
- This virus originated from America. Cases of infection with this virus are very high in America, but it is not considered fatal.
- In July this year, 154 new cases were registered in England.
- Sudden vomiting and diarrhea are symptoms of infection with this virus, along with high fever, body pain.
- These symptoms appear about one to two days after infection. It is a zoonotic disease i.e. spread from animals to humans. Its spread is very fast.
- This virus is spread through contaminated food and water and through infected person. An infected person can spread millions of particles of norovirus, and only a few particles are enough to become infected.
- Although some experts say that norovirus does not affect healthy people very much, it can be serious for young children, the elderly and people with other health problems.
- Officials in Kerala have said ‘super chlorination’ is being done to purify the water. Apart from this, people infected with norovirus have been advised to take rest at home.
- Doctors are of the opinion that such people should drink ORS and boiled water. People should wash their hands thoroughly with soap and water before eating food and after using the toilet.
- Clothes and toilets should be kept clean and household spaces should be cleaned by adding bleach to the water.
- This virus is not eradicated by alcohol like corona virus, but it is beneficial if clothes are cleaned at a temperature of 60 ° C.