12 Nov 2021 Onake Obavva
Posted at 15:37h in Daily current-affairs 0 Comments
- The Government of Karnataka has decided to celebrate November 11 as ‘Onake Obavva Jayanti’ across the state from this year (2021).
Onake Obavva The Hindu Analysis current affairs:
- Onake Obavva was a female warrior who single-handedly fought Haider Ali’s army with a pestle (‘Onake’ in Kannada) at Chitradurga in the 18th century.
- Hyder Ali, the ruler of the Kingdom of Mysore and father of Tipu Sultan, attacked the Chitradurga Fort, which was ruled by the Madakari Nayaka in the 18th century.
- Chitradurga Fort locally known as Elusutina Kote (Fort of the Seven Circles), 200 km from Bangalore. Chitradurga is located in the north-west.
- Onake was the wife of Obawwa soldier Kahale Mudda Hanuma, who was the keeper of the fort.
Significance of Obavva The Hindu Analysis current affairs for UPSC:
- Obavva is considered a symbol of Kannada pride and is included among other women warriors of Karnataka state such as-
- Abbakka Rani- The first Tuluva queen of Ullal in Coastal Karnataka who fought with the Portuguese.
- Keladi Chennamma– Queen of the Kingdom of Keladi who is known to have fought against the Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb.
- Kittur Chennamma-Queen of Kittur, best known for her revolt of 1824 against the British East India Company.
- In the year 2018 inspired by Onake Obavva, Chitradurga Police started ‘Obavva Pade’ for women police constables with the aim of educating and protecting women in the district.