Other Backward Classes’ Sub categorizationWhy is it in the news? The Union Cabinet has granted a six-month extension of the mandate of the Commission established under Article 340 of the Constitution to investigate the issue of sub-categorization under the Other Backward Classes (OBCs) in the Central List, from July 31, 2021 to January 31, 2022. Background information:
- On the 2nd of October, 2017, the Commission was established under Article 340 of the Constitution, with the President’s consent.
- Justice (Retd.) Smt. G. Rohini led the commission
- The Commission has determined that it will take longer to produce its findings since the present Central List of OBCs has repetitions, ambiguities, contradictions, and spelling or transcription problems, among other things.
- As a result, the Commission requested a term extension until July 31, 2020.
- The Commission, however, was unable to carry out the task assigned to them due to the statewide lockdown and travel limitations imposed as a result of the COVID-19 epidemic.
- As a result, the Commission’s mandate will be extended for another six months, until 31.1.2021.