- Recently National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) launched the second phase of Rural Entrepreneur Project in partnership with Sewa Bharti and Yuva Vikas Society.
- The objective of this initiative is to provide functional skills to the youth of India to enable them to multi-skill and earn their livelihood.
National Skill Development Corporation:
- National Skill Development Corporation is a not-for-profit public limited company. It was incorporated on 31st July, 2008 under Section 25 of the Companies Act, 1956 (in line with Section 8 of the Companies Act, 2013).
- NSDC was set up by the Ministry of Finance as a Public Private Partnership (PPP) model.
- The Government of India, through the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE), holds 49% of NSDC, while the private sector owns the remaining 51%.
- It acts as a catalyst in skill development by providing funding to enterprises, companies and organizations providing skill training.
Rural Entrepreneur Project:
- It is a unique multi-skill project, funded by NSDC, which aims to train 450 tribal students in Madhya Pradesh and Jharkhand.
- This project is being implemented in six states- Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand and Gujarat.
- There is a dire need to increase ownership at the tribal level to create awareness about such schemes and initiatives.
- Tribal youth have so much power and potential that all we have to do is to utilize their talents in the right places.
- This initiative will provide economic empowerment to our tribal population.
- Growth in rural/local economy
- Increasing employment opportunities
- Reducing migration pressures due to lack of local opportunities
- Conservation of natural resources
Implementation of Rural Entrepreneur Project:
- Participants from rural and tribal areas of Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh and Gujarat have been included in the first phase of training.
- The participants were provided with transportation, food and accommodation so that they would not miss out on learning opportunities due to paucity of resources.
- The second phase of the pilot project started in Ranchi is being implemented by Yuva Vikas Society through Seva Bharti Kendra.
- National Skill Development Corporation under the aegis of Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship has assisted in setting up of laboratories and classrooms through Sector Skill Councils (SSCS) at Sewa Bharti Kendra Skill Development Centre.
The training under the project will be used in the following job roles that are relevant to the local economy.
- Electrician and Solar PV Installation Technician.
- Plumbing and Masonry.
- Repair and maintenance of two wheelers.
- IT/ITES with e-Governance.
- Agricultural mechanization.
Initiatives taken by the government for skill development:
- Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY)
- Employment fair.
- Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendra (PMKK).
- Capacity building plan.
- School Initiatives and Higher Education.
- India International Skill Centers (IISCs).
- Pre-Departure Orientation Training (PDOT).