07 Apr 2022 Quad group
Quad group – Today Current Affairs
- Increasing both the membership and influence of the Quad, experts say, could serve as the basis for the Biden administration’s strategy to curb China’s lofty ambitions in Asia.
- For this, experts have suggested inviting South Korea to join the quadrilateral security dialogue ‘Quad’.
Today Current Affairs
Reason for inclusion of ‘South Korea’ in ‘Quad’:
- South Korea has a population of about 50 million, and its economy is now G7, on par with that of Canada or Russia.
- It has a population of 600,000 soldiers and women, and has a military budget of US$50 billion ($69.5 billion), which will soon overtake Japan. Given all these facts, South Korea’s engagement with the Quad is becoming more important than ever.
‘Quad Grouping’ : The Hindu Analysis
- The Quad is a quadrilateral security negotiating organization consisting of the countries of Japan, India, the United States and Australia.
- All member states of this grouping are democratic nations and share the interests of non-disrupted maritime trade and security. Today Current Affairs
- The grouping is often referred to as “Asian” or “mini” NATO, and is seen as a response to China’s military and economic clout in the Indo-Pacific.
Origin of Quad Group : The Hindu Analysis
- The origins of the Quad group can be traced back to the coordinated efforts of the four countries for relief efforts after the 2004 tsunami.
- After this, these four countries met for the first time during the ASEAN Summit in 2007.
- Its aim was to increase maritime cooperation between the four countries, Japan, India, the United States of America and Australia.
Significance of this organization : The Hindu Analysis
- Quad is an opportunity for like-minded countries to share information and collaborate on projects of mutual interest.
- Its member states share an open and open Indo-Pacific approach. Today Current Affairs
- It is one of the many forums of dialogue between India, Australia, Japan and the US and should not be viewed in any one specific context.
China’s approach towards ‘Quad Group’ : The Hindu Analysis
- It is a common understanding that the Quad will not compete militarily against any country. Nevertheless, by China’s strategic community, it is described as an emerging “Asian NATO” brand.
- Notably, the ‘Confluence of Two Seas’ address by Japanese PM Shinzo Abe in the Indian Parliament has given a new thrust to the Quad concept. It has recognized the economic rise of India.