After the completion of three years of the revocation of the special constitutional position of Jammu and Kashmir, once again the Kasmiri people seek the reinstallation of the democracy in their state on the occasion of the 75the anniversary of India’s freedom.
The central government revoked the special status of Jammu and Kashmir on 4th Aug 2019 and after that central government took strong measures to curtail any voice of discontent in Jammu and Kashmir. The dilution of Article 370 was brought with the objective of the economic reforms of Jammu and Kashmir. But after analyzing the economical development of Jammu and Kashmir, it can be said that however, the Government of India invested money in the economic development of Jammu and Kashmir through various projects but it could not satisfy the people and even it could not reduce the discontent among the people
In the absence of democratic institutions, any development works would not curtail the discontent of the people of Jammu and Kashmir. Therefore it is expected the gradual reinstallation of the democratic institutions in Jammu and Kashmir by the central government.
Dilution of the Article 370
- The central government diluted article 370 of the Indian constitution with some objectives like
- Overall development of Jammu and Kashmir. Hence the partition of Jammu, Kashmir and Laddakh is essential
- To Curtail the insurgency in the valley
- To promote the Ladakh culture and uplift the status of the Laddhakhi people
- To allow all Kashmir people the development equally with the development of the rest of India
- To promote investment in The valley
- To strengthen the emotional attachment of the Kashmiri people toward India
- To bring back and resettle those Kashmiri Pandits who have been internal refugees for over three decades
- To promote the new era of non-dynastic politics
If we analyze the above objectives, rarely any objectives could be fulfilled during these three years after the dilution of Article 370
The situation of Jammu and Kashmir after the dilution of Article 370
- After the Dilution of 370, the spirit of Alienation and insurgency increased. If we observe the spirit of alienation on the bases of the recent incident, it is correct to say it increased. As per the report of South Asia Terrorism Portal, 437 Kashmiri youth joined insurgent ranks between 2019 and 2021. In the absence of democratic institutions, the role of local police against the insurgency has been also reduced. These must be concerning elements for the security agencies of India
- In 2019, the economy of the state is declining however the impact of the covid 19 should not be ignored. As per the report of the NITI Aayog, Jammu and Kashmir were ranked among the bottom last year. A record tourist inflow this year might help some recovery but has to be set off against losses in the fruit, manufacturing, carpet, and handicrafts industries. As per the local people, because of the corruption of central agencies, local people are not starting any projects. Therefore handicrafts of Jammu Kashmir would not be recovered in the future also
- Once again, the Kashmiri Pandits have become the soft target of the militants. once again, like in 1990, selective Kashmiri Pandits are being killed. Many pandits once again decide to leave the valley and not resettle in Valley. As per the report of Kashmiri Pandit Sangharsh Samiti who had been reinstalled as the govt teacher in the valley during the period of Manmohan Singh, now decided to leave the valley
- Recently-elected Panches suffer the same fate. However, the central government claimed that new political leadership would emerge from panchayat ranks to replace the dynasts of the National Conference and People’s Democratic Party. But many local political leaders of the village were shot dead. Therefore against the insurgency, no people had dare to the context in any election. In the absence of powerful and popular leaders of Jammu and Kashmir, it is very difficult to reform the political system
- The report of the delimitation commission was also hopeless. Which would increase the Chasm between India and the Kashmiri people. The new constituencies would promote communal violence in the future. The works of the governments of Manmohan Singh and the Atal Bihari Bajpai regarding the emotional attachment of Kashmiri people towards India were more commendable
Up to now, whatever path was selected by the central government regarding the issue of Jammu and Kashmir was one-sided, non-democratic, and without discussion with the local leaders of Kashmir and the other party’s leaders. Now the time has come for the central government, once again, to re-evaluate its policy towards Jammu and Kashmir and should bring several democratic reforms to the state. Through power, the control of any region would not be long-lasting. We should use the tool of emotional attachment in Kashmir. we should bring the Kashmiri close to the Indian emotionally. In this way, we would be able to make India a strong country in the world as well as a true nation.