20 Jul 2021 Right to life must override religious sentiments: SC
Posted at 04:43h in Daily current-affairs 0 Comments
Right to life must override religious sentiments: SC
- The Delhi Disaster Management Authority (DDMA) issued an order that no celebrations, processions and gatherings would be allowed during the upcoming Kanwar Yatra in the Capital.
- Earlier, the state government of Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh has also cancelled the Kanwar Yatra
- It was on the backdrop of Supreme Court judgement in which it said , “Health of the citizenry of India and the right to life are paramount. All other sentiments, albeit religious, are subservient to this basic fundamental right”
- It is an annual pilgrimage of devotees of Shiva
- The devotees visit Hindu pilgrimage places of Haridwar, Gaumukh and Gangotri in Uttarakhand and Sultanganj in Bihar to fetch holy waters of Ganges River
- Kanwar Yatra is named after the kanvar, a single pole (usually made of bamboo) with two roughly equal loads fastened or dangling from opposite ends.
- The kanvar is carried by balancing the middle of the pole on one or both shoulders.
- Risk to public health during massive religious gatherings in the midst of a pandemic
- large gatherings posed a major risk, amidst fears and expectations of a third wave.
- Right to life
- The pandharpur yatra in Maharashtra in which every year lakhs of warkaris participate is performed by few warkaris carrying Padukas (footprints) in a vehicle on the same route as maintained by the warkaris
- This practice can be one of the solution which can be applied to other such yatra giving priority to right to life over religious sentiments