18 Feb 2023 Sixth Schedule Demand of Ladakh
Posted at 10:25h in Daily current-affairs 0 Comments
6TH SCHEDULE DEMAND OF LADAKH
The article talks about how the sixth schedule impacts Indian polity and constitution.
Why in the news?
- After the abrogation of Article 370, Ladakh has been celebrating the status of the Union Territory.
- However, in the recent time, they have also been demanding inclusion in the 6th schedule of the constitution
- Famous educationist Sonam Wangchuk has come to the forefront of this protest.
Concepts to be remembered for UPSC
Sixth Schedule of the Indian constitution
- The sixth schedule currently includes four states i.e. Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura, and Mizoram.
- It provides administration of tribal areas in these particular states
- The basis of the sixth schedule can be traced in Art 244(2) and Art 275(1) of the constitution.
- ADC’s e. Autonomous District Councils are created in order to safeguard the rights of the tribal people.
- These ADCs are the bodies representing districts to which the constitution has given varying degrees of autonomy within the state legislature.
Issues of the people of Ladakh
- Ladakhi’s have a lot of unfulfilled aspirations
- Fund lapses People are complaining about the inability of the Central Government’s allotted fund for the UT, to be reached the ground level.
- Unemployment Lack of unemployment for the people of Ladakh is growing day by day.
- Agriculture The Region’s topography does not support much agriculture as a result of which over-reliance on the Tourism sector is still there.
- Environment: The eco-fragile environment is posing a risk for the people of Ladakh in the long run.
Benefits of the 6th schedule
- Districts councils and regional councils are given certain judicial and legislative powers, however, they are subject to the jurisdiction of the concerned High Court.
- These councils have the power to hear those cases, where both the parties involved belong to the Schedule Tribe. In these cases, the councils have the power to give a punishment of up to 5 years of prison.
- These councils will also have the power to levy taxes, tolls, and fees on buildings, vehicles, animals, boats, entry goods, etc.
- The Acts passed by the Parliament and the state legislature does not apply to the autonomous districts and autonomous regions or apply with specified modifications and exceptions.
The Governor is vested with powers regarding the He/she, by public notification, may:
a) Define the boundaries of any autonomous district
b) Increase or decrease the area of an existing autonomous district.
c) Alter the name of any autonomous district
d) Include or exclude any new areas.
e) Create a new autonomous district.
The way forward for the region of Ladakh
- Joint committee: Including all the stakeholders should be formed in order to take into account all points of view.
- Freedom of speech: Should also be given in order to ensure that people get their chance to put their voice in the public forum.
- Fund utilization: Should be done with high prudence and effective utilization should be ensured in order to prevent the lapsing of the allocated fund.
Ladakh is a location of great Geo-Strategic significance due to China’s “Wolf Warrior Diplomacy”.Inclusive steps in the right direction are of prime importance for the well-being of the future of Ladakh and its people.
Get Daily Current Affairs from Yojna IAS.
YOJNA IAS DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS ENG MED 18th FEB