SVAMITVA Scheme – Today Current Affairs
- According to the information provided by the government, a plan is being made to prepare digital maps of all 6,00,000 villages in the country, and under the SVAMITVA scheme, all India 3D maps will be prepared for 100 cities.
- Nearly 1,00,000 villages have been covered in the drone surveys conducted so far and maps of 77,527 villages have been submitted to the states.
- Property cards have also been distributed in about 27,000 villages under the Swamitva scheme.
Today Current Affairs
Survey of Villages and Mapping with Improvised Technology in Village Areas – SVAMITVA:
- This scheme was started on ‘Panchayati Raj Day’ (April 24, 2020). Initially it was launched for only 9 states. Last year this scheme was implemented in all the states.
- Under this scheme, ownership mapping of residential land in rural areas will be done through advanced technologies like drones.
- The objective of this scheme is to revolutionize ‘property record maintenance’ in India.
- This scheme is being operated by the Ministry of Panchayati Raj.
- Under this scheme, land will be measured using drones to record the undisputed records of residential land in villages.
- Property cards will be generated for each property in the village using precise measurements by drone-mapping by the states. These cards will be handed over to the property owners and will be recognized by the Department of Land Revenue Records.
Benefits of this plan: The Hindu Analysis
- Through the official certificate obtained under this scheme, property owners will be able to take advantage of bank loans and other property related schemes on their assets.
- These records relating to village properties will also be maintained at the Panchayat level, so that the taxes associated with the property owners can be collected. The money from these local taxes will be used to build rural infrastructure and facilities.
- As a result of freeing land and residential properties from land-ownership disputes and preparation of an official record, the market value of properties is likely to increase.
- Accurate property records can be used for tax collection, new building and infrastructure construction plans, issuance of permits and thwarting attempts to take illegal possession of property, etc.
Need and importance of planning: The Hindu Analysis
- Considering that many villagers in rural areas do not have documents to prove their land ownership, the need for this scheme was felt then.
- In most of the states, survey and measurement of populated areas has not been done for the purpose of verification/certification of properties in villages. This new scheme has been able to become a tool for empowerment and entitlement, reducing social conflict due to property discord.