The draft of the national policy for persons with disabilities (“Policy”): Critical evaluation – Today Current Affairs
Context: recently Government of India drafted the national policy for persons with disabilities (“Policy”) for uplifting the condition of disabled persons. The government invited the suggestion for this policy.
Today Current Affairs
the establishment of equality among all persons is the key objective of any democratic and welfare country. Therefore, The Department of Empowerment of Person with Disabilities (DoEPwD) Government of India also released a policy for disabled persons so that they could be strengthened. But this policy is just drafted and put for the comments and suggestions of the public. this is a good practice of the democracy
This new policy , infact replaces the old policy of 2006 for the disabled persons . Here it should be analysed regarding the new provisions of the policies and what were the flaws of the old policies so those old policies had to be substituted ‘
Need for the new policy : The Hindu Analysis
- Multiple factors are responsible for this policy like the agreement of the India with United Nations where India signed on United Nations Convention on Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
- In the last several years, the number of the disable person has also increased therefore e enactment of new disability legislation (Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016) new policy was required.
- India is also a party of the Incheon Strategy which was made for the Asian and Pacific Decade of Persons with Disabilities, 2013-2022 (“Incheon commitment” Incheon is a south Korean city where this convention was convened ). The Hindu Analysis
- The 10 goals were identified by the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP) for any Asia-Pacific country to ensure the empowerment of disabled persons up to 2030 with the Sustainable Development
- The commitment of the government to the inclusion and empowerment of persons with disabilities
The Draft of the Policy : The Hindu Analysis
This draft of the policy highlighted the inclusion of disabled persons in every field of social and educational development but by providing them the political inclusiveness other efforts would not be suffice
Article 29 of the Convention on Rights of Persons with Disabilities instructs the state should ensure the maximum and even full participation of the disabled person in the election procedure directly and indirectly . All the facilities which are required for participation in the election procedure in India must be provided to disabled persons . We have to check whether , in this new policies some efforts are done for political inclusiveness of the disabled persons or not. The Hindu Analysis
In the Indian democratic system, the inclusion of the disabled person is nominal. There are many even election booths where the minimum required facilities for disabled persons are available so that the disabled person could encourage the cast their votes
We should also ensure the representation of physically disabled persons in the political system, we should make laws in this regard also. The first visually disabled Member of Parliament in independent India, Sadhan Gupta, hardly finds mention in our political or disability discourse. However, some states have taken the initiative for increasing the political participation of disabled persons in local political units
Today Current Affairs
Hence it may be concluded that any policy would be realy affectable related to disable person when the political representation of disabled persons would be ensured at the maximum level. Once these people are politically empowered , automatically their community would be empowered. Without giving the proper representation of the disabled Persians their welfare and inclusive development of society are not possible.
In this article we mention all information about The draft of the national policy for persons with disabilities (“Policy”): Critical evaluation Today Current Affairs.