03 Dec 2021 Ujjwala Yojana
Posted at 12:47h in Daily current-affairs 0 Comments
Ujjwala Yojana Today Current affairs
In this we mention about The Hindu analysis Current affairs for 3rd Dec.
- According to the information received under ‘Right to Information’, just before the general elections of the year 2019, the new distribution under the ‘Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana’ saw a spurt.
- Under the scheme, the target was to issue 8 crore LPG connections to the underprivileged families by the year 2020. This target was achieved in August 2019, seven months ahead of the March 2020 deadline.
- In August 2021, the Prime Minister launched the second phase of ‘Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana’ (PMUY) or ‘Ujjwala 2.0 Yojana’.
Introduction about Ujjwala Yojana Today Current affairs
- It was launched in May 2016 to provide ‘Liquefied Petroleum Gas’ (LPG) connections to poor families.
- It aims to provide maximum benefits to migrants who live in other states and find it difficult to submit their address proof.
- Now they have to give only “Self Declaration” to take advantage of this.
Objective of UjjwalaYojana:
- Empowering women and protecting their health.
- Reducing the number of deaths due to unclean cooking fuel in India.
- To protect young children from serious respiratory diseases caused by air pollution by burning fossil fuels indoors.
Features of UjjwalaYojana:
- Under this scheme financial assistance of Rs 1600 is provided to BPL families for each LPG connection.
- Ujjwala 2.0 beneficiaries with a deposit-free LPG connection will be provided with the first refill and a hotplate free of cost.
Aim of UjjwalaYojana:
- Under Ujjwala 1.0, the target was to provide LPG connections to 50 million women from Below Poverty Line (BPL) families by March 2020. Although seven other categories of women were brought under the scheme in August 2018, these include:
- SC/ST, beneficiaries of Antyodaya Anna Yojana (AAY) under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY), forest dwellers, most backward classes, tea gardens and islands.
- Under Ujjwala 2.0, an additional 10 million LPG connections will be provided to the beneficiaries.
- The government has also set a target of providing piped gas to 21 lakh households in 50 districts.
- Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas (MoPNG).
- In the first phase of PMUY, 8 crore poor families including Dalit and tribal communities were given free LPG connections.
- The LPG infrastructure in the country has expanded manifold. Over 11,000 new LPG distribution centers have been opened across the country in the last six years.
Challenges of UjjwalaYojana Today Current affairs:
Low consumption of refills:
- Encouraging continuous use of LPG remains a major challenge and low consumption of refills hindered recovery of outstanding loans disbursed under the scheme.
- The annual average per consumer as on December 31, 2018 was just 3.21 refills.
System related discrepancies:
- Deficiencies such as release of connections to unintended beneficiaries and problems with the software of state-run oil marketing companies have been noticed, indicating inadequacy in the deduplication process for identification of beneficiaries.
Here we provide all the information of Ujjawala Yojana. This is very important topic of The Hindu analysis current affais for 3rd Dec.