UNWGICIn 2022, India will host the second UNWGIC
Why is it in the headlinesIndia’s efforts to host the second United Nations World Geospatial Information Congress (UNWGIC) in 2022 have been revealed to the global geospatial information community.
- The United Nations World Geospatial Information Congress (UNWGIC) is a global gathering of geospatial information experts.
- Every four years, it is organised by the United Nations Committee of Experts on Global Geospatial Information Management (UN-GGIM).
- A geographic information system (GIS) is a system that combines hardware, software, and data to capture, manage, analyse, and display all types of geographically linked data.
- The UNWGIC’s first summit was hosted by China in 2018.
- Second Summit: In 2022, India will host the second UNWGIC in Hyderabad. The theme for the summit is, towards Geo-enabling the Global Village
- It is a United Nations Committee of Experts on UN-GGIM
- In 2011, the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) established it.
- Aim: To play a major role in shaping the global geospatial information agenda and promoting its application to address critical global concerns.
- The committee is made up of government specialists from UN Member States as well as experts from international organisations who act as observers. The UN-GGIM meets at least once a year and reports directly to the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).