- The Russian President, the Prime Minister of Pakistan and five Presidents from Central Asia will reach China for the inauguration of the Winter Olympics.
Importance of Travel:
- The Russian President will discuss the ongoing crisis with Ukraine with the Chinese President.
- China has close ties with Russia, but is largely silent on the Russia-Ukraine crisis.
- The China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) plan is expected to accelerate with the Prime Minister of Pakistan discussing investments with China.
- China has also announced that it wants to discuss the development of communication satellites for Pakistan and cooperate in the construction of the Pakistan Space Center.
- The US, UK, Canada and Australia have announced a “diplomatic boycott” of the Games in China’s Xinjiang province due to alleged human rights violations.
- The Winter Olympics is the main event of those sports which are played on ice.
- It is held every four years and is attended by participants from all over the world.
- Ice skating, ice hockey, skiing and figure skating are some of the popular sports played in winter sports.
- The first Winter Olympics were held in Chamonix, France in the year 1924.
- The Winter Games were initially played only during the Summer Olympics, the 1908 London Olympics hosted four skating events, and the 1920 Olympics in Antwerp included skating as well as ice hockey.
- However, in the year 1924, a separate program for winter sports was started, which is called ‘International Winter Sports Week’.
- It was held in Chamonix, France, the host country of the 1924 Summer Olympics.
- Two years later, ‘International Winter Sports Week’ in Chamonix was officially recognized as the first Winter Olympic Games.
- This year’s edition of the Winter Olympic Games will be held in Beijing, China from February 4 to February 20, 2022.
- India is participating in the Winter Olympics since 1964.