World health day – Today Current Affairs
- Every year 7 April is celebrated as World Health Day.
- World Mental Health Day is observed every year on 10 October.
Today Current Affairs
Highlights of World Health Day:
- Its idea was conceived in the first World Health Assembly of the World Health Organization held in the year 1948, which was implemented in the year 1950.
- World Health Day is celebrated every year on 7 April to mark the anniversary of the founding day of the World Health Organization (April 7, 1948).
- Over the years it has brought to light important health issues such as mental health, maternal and child care and climate change.
Objective : The Hindu Analysis
- Its purpose is to deliberate on global health and its related problems and to spread awareness about equitable health care facilities in the world.
Theme for 2022 : The Hindu Analysis
- Our Planet, Our Health.
Increase in the incidence of death due to environmental causes : The Hindu Analysis
- Worldwide 13 million deaths are caused by avoidable environmental causes.
- It also includes the climate crisis which is the biggest health threat facing humanity.
Rising Air Pollution : The Hindu Analysis
- More than 90% of people breathe unhealthy air polluted by the burning of fossil fuels.
Impact of the pandemic : The Hindu Analysis
- The pandemic has highlighted vulnerabilities in all sectors of society and underscores the urgency of building a sustainable welfare society committed to achieving equitable health for present and future generations without breaking ecological boundaries.
Rising extreme weather events:
- Extreme weather events, land degradation and water scarcity are forcing people to migrate and affecting their health.
Increasing pollution and plastic : The Hindu Analysis
- Pollution and plastic are also affecting people’s lives and have made their way into our food chain.
Unequal Distribution of Income : The Hindu Analysis
- The current form of the economy leads to unequal distribution of income, wealth and power, with many people still living in poverty and instability.
Current Health Wellness Scenario in India : The Hindu Analysis
- Although India’s healthcare sector has grown rapidly over the past five years (compound annual growth rate of 22%), COVID-19 has highlighted challenges such as weak healthcare systems, lack of quality infrastructure and lack of quality service delivery is.
- India’s health care expenditure is 3.6% of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP), which includes public expenditure apart from out of pocket expenditure.
- The combined total government expenditure of both the Center and the states is 1.29% of the GDP.
- India’s expenditure on health care is the lowest among the BRICS countries. Brazil spends the most (9.2%), followed by South Africa (8.1%), Russia (5.3%), China (5%).
- Government of India has launched flagship initiative Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana, which is the world’s largest non-contributory health insurance scheme sponsored by the government and provides inpatient health care to poor and vulnerable families with secondary and tertiary facilities. -Patient Healthcare).
Today Current Affairs
Health Sector Initiatives:
- National Medical Commission Act, 2019
- Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Jan Aushadhi Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Jan-Arogya Yojana
- Health Index of India
- Enriched Program