15 Nov 2021 World pneumonia day
- World Pneumonia Day is organized globally on 12 November every year.
- This day was first started in the year 2009 by the ‘Global Coalition against Child Pneumonia’ with the aim of spreading awareness about pneumonia.
- Pneumonia is a serious lung infection caused by bacteria.
- Pneumonia is an infection of the lungs, so the most common symptoms are cough, difficulty breathing, and fever. Symptoms such as rapid breathing are found in children with pneumonia.
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO), pneumonia accounts for more than half of all deaths among children under the age of 5 in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ethiopia, India, Nigeria and Pakistan.
- Pneumonia accounts for an estimated 71% of deaths annually in India and accounts for 57% of severe pneumonia cases.